Good mornin' y'all and welcome to the Nancy Drew Challenge! Today's book is one of my favorites, #66, Race Against Time:
I think it's obvious which cover is my favorite if you've been around here for a bit : ) Okay we have some action scenes on the first and third one between the fire and the horse behaving badly, but that middle cover! It's like a movie poster and I love it.
Case file: This time Nancy is back on her home turf in River Heights, investigating the theft of a racehorse named Shooting Star from his home on Rainbow Ranch while also starring in Ned's film club movie despite the fact that a.) she doesn't go to the school the film club belongs to and b.) she's not part of the film club itself, she's just smooching the director (but only on the cheek because this is a kids' book). The film club is shooting a vampire comedy at a rundown mansion in the area, but strange things keep happening there. Nancy also finds time to befriend a small child, film several TV commercials, and deal with a jealous girl who wants her role in Ned's vampire movie.
Here's my first card:
Since the stolen racehorse is named Shooting Star, I had to break out some star stamps. I did think about doing a rainbow for Rainbow Ranch, but I stuck to the cover colors and just did Marina Mist, Pumpkin Pie, and Lemon Lolly.
There's a small subplot with an opal that also belongs to the ranch owner, so I had to make sure to get some gems on my star card.
Supplies, all SU!
Stamps: Everyday Arches, Be the Star
Ink: Early Espresso, Pumpkin Pie, Lemon Lolly
Paper: Marina Mist, Pumpkin Pie, Lemon Lolly, Basic White, Marina Mist DSP
Accessories: Everyday Arches dies, Textured Notes dies, Stars Collection Framelits, Dimensionals, Rhinestones
On to card #2:
You know I'm always super chuffed to use Vlad (or his pals Agnes and Frankie) from my very favorite Halloween stamp set ever, Best Fiends! I had so much fun with this one : )
I used Brocade Blue, Fresh Freesia, Basic Black, Basic Beige, and just a bit of Golden Glow for my colors. I stamped and embossed the bats on the black layer, that's the shiny bits behind Vlad and the sentiment.
Supplies, all SU!
Stamps: Best Fiends, Just Between Fiends
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Versamark, Stampin' Blends in Fresh Freesia, Golden Glow, Ivory, Basic Black, Smoky Slate
Paper: Brocade Blue, Basic Black, Basic Beige, Toadstool Garden DSP Stack
Accessories: Black EP, Nested Essentials dies, Black Rhinestones
I actually have two copies with this cover:
The one on the right is in better condition, but a previous owner of the one on the left (which I've had since at least high school, if not longer) drew vampire bite marks on Nancy's throat and that just makes me laugh so I can't get rid of it. Also, Ned's vampire movie is a comedy, and this book was released in 1982 while Leslie Nielsen's movie Dracula: Dead and Loving it was released in 1995 so I think they stole the movie idea from this book.
Anyway, on to card #3:
In this book, Nancy's horse Black Prince is mentioned and I think this is the only time that it's said that she owns her own horse. She also rides several other horses over the course of the book.
I wish I could find a copy of this cover that doesn't have marks on it like this one, but the only one I've been able to find in the last year is a part of a lot of five books that are listed for almost $80 on eBay and that is just a bonkers price so no thank you. Anyway, for this card I knew I wanted to use Pretty Peacock and Old Olive, and the new Mosaic Garden DSP has those colors as well as Crisp Cantaloupe which was a good match for Nancy's shirt. I always love the horsey mysteries so this was fun to make.
Supplies, all SU!
Stamps: Bareback, Friendly Words
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Versamark, Old Olive, Hydrangea Hue
Paper: Pretty Peacock, Basic White, Mosaic Garden DSP
Accessories: Perennial Postage dies, Moody Palette Glossy Dots, Dimensionals
This book is one of my favorites because I always love the horsey books AND this one has the vampire film going for it, it's just an absolute romp and so much fun. Five stars just for the plot of Ned's vampire movie, it sounds hilarious. If you're inspired to make a card based on the book or any of the covers I've shared here, drop me a comment so I can see! And I'll see you next week when Nancy takes on The Sinister Omen.
No comments:
Post a Comment