Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Birthday Boy Octopus

Mornin' y'all!  It's supposed to rain every day this week so it's possible that by the weekend we'll all be underwater.  So maybe that's what the What Will You Stamp? crew was thinking of when they chose this week's featured stamp set? ;)


You KNOW I'm gonna play along with this one!  Any excuse to bust out the as-yet-nameless octopus.  So here's my card for today:


Tiana was telling me when she was here that she doesn't have any birthday cards for boys (she's got two girls, and I gave her a ton of cards but let's be honest I like girly stuff so that's a lot of what she got from me), so that's why I chose to make this a more boyish birthday card.  I thought the bright Mango Melody made a nice contrast with the Tranquil Tide/Soft Sea Foam pattern.

I followed the basic layout on this week's CAS(E) The Designer challenge on Global Design Project:


I kept the patterned paper layer and the circle element, and let the linen thread stand in for the horizontal strip.

I'm also entering this at the Paper Players:


It might be difficult to tell in my photo, but the circle is actually cut out of my card front and the octopus and greeting are stamped on the inside of the card.  That's how I was able to wrap the linen thread around the sides, and then I tied each piece in a knot and cut it off right at the knot so there's no loose threads.

We'll see you here tomorrow, peeps.  Have a great day!

Supplies, all SU!
Stamps:  Sea of Textures, Lemon Zest
Ink:  Mango Melody, Memento Tuxedo Black
Paper:  Thick Whisper White, Tranquil Textures DSP
Accessories:  Layering Circles Framelits, Linen thread

6 comments:

Tracy Elsom said...

Lovely simple masculine card Christy. Thank you for joining the What Will You Stamp? Challenge this week.

Jan Clothier said...

The Mango Melody is indeed a great contrast with Tranquil Tide. I like the way you've used the linen thread. I'll bet it looks good standing up with the peephole effect more obvious. Thank you for joining in with us at The Paper Players again.

Claire Broadwater said...

The color combo is perfect for your card, Christy! The linen thread adds so much detail to make your negative space pop! So happy you joined us at The Paper Players this week! XX

Joanne James - The Crafty Owl said...

Your mango-coloured octopus contrasts beautifully with the sea-green of the Tranquil Tide DSP and the linen thread adds to the nautical feel. A great masculine CAS card Christy - Thanks for joining us over at The Paper Players this week!

Connie Collins said...

I love how you combined several different challenges to create a fabulous card. Thanks for joining in on the challenge this week at Global Design Project.

WWYS Blog said...

What a fantastic card Christy! I love your background! Thanks for playing with us this week at WWYS Challenge Blog!