Thursday, October 24, 2019

Rustic Bear

Hey y'all!  I mentioned on Tuesday that I had wanted to do a woodsy scene for a card, so here it is.  We spent a week in the Bar Harbor area of Maine earlier this month and there were GORGEOUS fall colors, with lots of evergreens mixed in, so that was my inspiration for this card:


I did the polished stone technique on the background panel; you wet a cotton ball with rubbing alcohol and then add drops of ink refill, then pounce on glossy white cardstock.  It starts out looking polka dotty but if you keep going it blends together and you get something like this.  Believe it or not, I had SIX drops of Crushed Curry ink on my cotton ball, and one drop each of Pumpkin Pie and Cherry Cobbler.  Maybe next time I'll try doing the colors in stages instead of all together at once and see how that works.  At any rate, that technique was a favorite of mine years and years ago and it's nice to pull it out again.

I used this week's Freshly Made Sketch:


The As You See It challenge has expired, but I was thinking of it nonetheless:


And my card also fits in with the Cupcake Inspiration challenge:


And here is just one of the pictures we took in Acadia National Park:


We took just over 1,000 pictures over one week, and I haven't gone through them all yet except to just quickly look but I think we got some really nice ones.  We were there for peak fall foliage and happily missed the storms that came through starting the day after we got home.  We didn't see any fauna larger than a squirrel; all the moose and bears were hiding I guess, though I did get a sweatshirt with a moose on it and I love it :)

Cheers, y'all!

Supplies, all SU!
Stamps:  Rustic Retreat, Rooted in Nature
Ink:  Shaded Spruce, Early Espresso, Versamark, ink refills in Crushed Curry, Cherry Cobbler, & Pumpkin Pie
Paper:  Shaded Spruce, Crushed Curry, Thick Whisper White, Glossy White, Vellum
Accessories:  Nature's Roots Dies, Stitched Shapes Dies, Mini Dimensionals, Clear EP

3 comments:

Jen Timko said...

I love when an old technique comes around again and seems new. This background is wonderful. So glad you joined us this week at FMS!

Karren said...

Your polished stone background looks fabulous! Wonderful card! Thanks so much for joining us at Freshly Made Sketches.

Quillish said...

Lovely design with a striking background! Great card. Thank you for playing with us at Cupcake Inspirations. Hugs ~ Ishani