Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Golden Apples

Happy Halloween!  Not only does Ryan get to wear his costume to school today, tonight I'm taking him to my brother and SIL's house so he can go trick-or-treating with his cousins.  Should be a fun time!

Confession:  I did *not* make another Halloween and/or pumpkin card to share today.  Today it's all about the apples.  Golden apples!


Ryan and I are reading the Percy Jackson books at bedtime (just finished the fourth one last night, actually) and every time I hear the phrase "golden apples" it reminds me of the ancient Greek myth about the how goddesses Aphrodite, Hera, and Athena got into a fight over a golden apple addressed "to the fairest" and after one thing and another started the Trojan War.  (Personally I think that Athena, as goddess of wisdom, should have been smarter than that.)  There's also the myth of Hercules stealing a golden apple from the Hesperides, so anyway, lots of mythic stuff happening in my brain over this card.  This is the first time I've done golden apples with this stamp set, I always do red or pink.  So something different here!

Let's get to the challenges.  Alphabetically, Global Design Project is up first:



I chose the striped DSP for the background layer.  Next up is the Paper Players tic tac toe challenge:


I went across the middle, with patterned paper - die cut - enamel dots.  And finally is the Retro Rubber Challenge:


This inspo pic is why I chose apples for today's card, and I used all five colors (I used Lemon Lolly, Shaded Spruce, Pecan Pie, Azure Afternoon, and white).  I just checked my past blog posts and Apple Harvest is only one year old?! I thought it was at least two.  Regardless, it still counts as retro!  And I had fun doing a different apple color combo today.

I was very productive yesterday and cleaned the two downstairs bathrooms, so today I should probably tackle Ryan's bathroom upstairs.  I just finished baking some Halloween cookies to take with us tonight to my brother's house, ya know just in case trick or treating in a neighborhood where it's not unusual to get full-size candy bars doesn't result in enough of a sugar coma.  For reals though, I'm trying to familiarize myself with the ovens in this house before Thanksgiving.  I think next time I bake, I'm going to set the temperature to 25 degrees above what the recipe calls for, because today it definitely didn't get hot enough (I used an oven thermometer to check).  Gotta get all the experimentation done before the biggest eatin' holiday of the year, right?  Cheers, y'all!

Supplies, all SU!
Stamps:  Apple Harvest
Ink:  Lemon Lolly, Memento Tuxedo Black, Stampin' Blends in Lemon Lolly, Old Olive, Shaded Spruce, Pecan Pie, Azure Afternoon
Paper:  Azure Afternoon, Lemon Lolly, Thick Basic White, Shaded Spruce DSP
Accessories:  Apple Blooms dies, Stylish Shapes dies, Brushed Metallic Dots, Dimensionals

5 comments:

Heather said...

Wow, this is fabulous take on our picnic colors challenge, Christy! I love to see these in "gold" - it looks amazing against that blue for sure! Thanks so much for playing at Retro Rubber!

Claire Broadwater said...

Christy, this is fabulous! I love the color combo and the beautiful apples! This card will certainly brighten someone's day! Thank you so much for joining my challenge at The Paper Players this week!

Tanya said...

This is SO pretty! I love the yellow apples with the blue! And great coloring too, as always!

Joanne James - The Crafty Owl said...

Christy those golden apples are a real standout - they look fabulous paired with the deep green and bright blue. I actually think that this is one of the best cards I've see with this set! Hope your Halloween activities were fun; I was handing out treats all evening and was thrilled that my visitors loved my hand-carved pumpkins - makes it all worthwhile! Thanks for sharing with us over at The Paper Players this week!

Claire Grantham said...

Oh wow this is gorgeous! Totally fits the fall picnic idea, I love the rich colours. Thanks for joining us at Retro Rubber this time. Claire DT x