Tuesday, March 14, 2023

SUO Challenges: A Feast on Scraps

Hey hey, stampy friends!  It's time for a new challenge from SUO Challenges!


The challenge this time is to make a card using scraps.  We all have them, right?  Little pieces of patterned paper, extra stamped images, pieces of cardstock left over from other projects...okay so this challenge might be a little self-serving because I came up with it and I always have a ton of scraps.  I'm a leeeetle bit of a hoarder when it comes to craft supplies (haha), and every time I get a new pack of DSP, I make up one of these:


It's a regular sheet protector and I put on a label with the name of the DSP and the colors featured in it.  I put in a sheet of cardstock and for the 12x12 DSPs I'll put scraps in the back that are still 12" long and thus usable for borders on scrapbook pages, everything shorter than that goes in front of the cardstock.  So for this challenge, I decided to focus on the Tea Boutique DSP stack because I had a bunch of scraps from it (and also I just like it).  And then I made three cards!  Every single bit of paper on these cards (except the card bases) started out as a scrap left over from something else.  Take a look:


So here's the first card I made:


Those three strips of patterned paper were already all the same size; two of the teapots were already fussy cut from another piece of paper.  A quick stamped sentiment on a little scrap of Fresh Freesia and a run through the die cut machine and voila, my first card.

Here's card #2:


I noticed those two Crushed Curry patterns and thought they'd go nicely with that one floral.  I cut down one scrap of the floral pattern to fit my card front (this is kind of CASEd from a previous challenge), and then I flipped the other piece of that scrap over and cut the three circles from it to go behind the Sweet Sorbet teapot.  The scrap wasn't big enough to make a big circle to go around the teapot, so that's why I did three smaller ones, and I think it works.

Final card:


For this last card, I used a couple of the larger scraps.  I cut about 3/4" off the Fresh Freesia scrap and left the other one as it already was, then put together a quick sentiment panel with another fussy cut teapot.  I know the color in this pack is Parakeet Party, not Pear Pizzazz, but Parakeet Party felt too bright for this card so I switched it out for the tamer green.

So in the end, I used up quite a few of my Tea Boutique scraps, but not all--I think I still have three more teapots awaiting cards.  This was a fun exercise for me; besides using up scraps, it made me think creatively about how to use the pieces I had without cutting out anything extra.  So I hope you'll give our scrap-tastic challenge a shot and post your card(s) over on the SUO Challenges blog.  Have fun!

Supplies, all SU!
Stamps:  Cup of Tea
Ink:  Starry Sky, Garden Green
Paper:  Thick Basic White, Fresh Freesia, Petal Pink, Pear Pizzazz, Tea Boutique DSP Stack
Accessories:  Teacup dies, Stylish Shapes dies, In Color Matte Dots, In Color baker's twine, Dimensionals

1 comment:

Cindy Coutts @ Cindy B Designs said...

You have the most uniquely CAS vintage trendy elegant style. Love this.