Friday, December 8, 2023

French Horn

Happy Friday, y'all!  I started working on my Christmas letter last night, so I'm hoping to finish that up today and get my cards ready to mail out over the weekend.  I only send handmade cards to a select few people; I send a photo card and a letter to all our friends and family because I just don't want to make 50+ cards every December when things are busy enough.

I do still make Christmas cards though, so here's a new one to share.


That French horn is cut out of silver foil paper, it's not white, the light from my window reflected off the silver.  And my cutting plates are quite...seasoned...so running it through the Big Shot gave me a bit of texture on the die cut that I like.  I was in band all through middle school and high school, so I like musical stuff in general, and I had a friend named Nicole who played the French horn.  She died in a car wreck when we were 17, just before our senior year of high school, and I always think of her when I see French horns or hear them.  That's probably the biggest reason why I got this stamp and die bundle in the first place.  My musical paper has lyrics from Silent Night (I was using up a scrap), but I associate French horns more with a version of God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen by Mannheim Steamroller, which we've been listening to every year since I was a kid.

We're going retro today for the Retro Rubber Challenge:


Musical Season debuted in 2017 so it's six years old (just like my kiddo), but I only ever used it for the first time earlier this year (actually for another Retro Rubber challenge). 

Next up is the CAS Colours & Sketches challenge:


I chose this past sketch:


I loved Joanne's reindeer card, I like this sketch, and I did make a card for the original challenge so it was fun to revisit it.

Okay, time to get Ryan off to school.  Cheers!

Supplies, all SU!
Stamps:  Musical Season
Ink:  Memento Tuxedo Black
Paper:  Shaded Spruce, silver foil, Merry Music Specialty DSP
Accessories:  Musical Instruments dies, Metallic Dots, Dimensionals

4 comments:

Tanya said...

The silver is striking on the dark colors and I love this bundle!
I'm so sorry about the loss of your friend.

Neva Cole said...

Wonderful card! The story behind the french horn and your friend is touching. I agree that a French horn is a "God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman" instrument.

Claire Grantham said...

Great card, sad story, but touching that you remember her by the beautiful instrument that is the French horn. Weirdly it is the instrument that I chose to learn to play, after I grew too tall to continue to be a gymnast. Your card is beautiful. I love the musical note paper. Thanks for joining us at retro rubber this time. Claire DT

Patricia Hays said...

What a sweet and heartfelt way to remember your friend. Music is a big part of my family too, so I love how you've used the musical elements on your card. Thanks so much for sharing it with us at CC&S!