Wednesday, August 15, 2018

An Ocean of Thanks

Hey y'all!  Kiddo took a short nap yesterday so I didn't get in my craft room to stamp until after he went to bed last night but I think it was worth it because...


I busted out my brayer and made an OCEAN!!!  I haven't used my brayers in a very long time, other than to ink up the occasional background stamp.  This was really easy too, all I did was ink up the sponge brayer with Blueberry Bushel ink and roll it on the top 2/3 of a piece of white cardstock until I had good coverage, and then I kinda rolled the brayer on scratch paper to get rid of excess ink before I inked it up again with Night of Navy and rolled on the bottom 1/3, blending with the lighter blue until I liked how it looked.  I happened to have a cup of water with a straw on my desk, so I pulled the straw out and flicked water on my cardstock until I liked how that looked too.  Next time I'd do this on one of my place mats though (I have two cheapo plastic place mats from the World of Wally that I use for extra messy techniques--helpful because it keeps the mess from getting everywhere else and I can clean them with a spritz of Stampin' Mist and a paper towel).  Anyway, those water drops really made the background pop in my opinion.

Triple challenge today!  Let's start with the Global Design Project theme challenge:


Of course as soon as I saw that, I thought of Sea of Textures and my favorite (as yet unnamed) octopus, but I decided as an extra challenge to make a card with Sea of Textures *without* using the octopus.  Ha!

Next up is the Just Add Ink sketch:


And then the Sunday Stamps color challenge:


I used Blueberry Bushel, Night of Navy, Poppy Parade, and Smoky Slate as my colors.  I left off the yellow because it just wasn't working for this particular card.  I do love this color palette though!

I've got my eye on another color challenge that I think would work well for my rediscovered brayer...ideas are percolating!  Have a great Wednesday and cheers, y'all!

Supplies, all SU!
Stamps:  Sea of Textures
Ink:  Poppy Parade, Blueberry Bushel, Night of Navy
Paper:  Smoky Slate, Poppy Parade, Thick Whisper White
Accessories:  Under the Sea Framelits, mini Dimensionals, sponge brayer

5 comments:

Chantell Randall said...

Love it - great take on this sketch. I'm the same - brayers are resting at the moment. But I love the background effect you have made. Chantell Just Add Ink

Heather said...

Great tip about the water drops - you're right, they add gorgeous depth! Love your take on our colors! Thanks so much for playing at Sunday Stamps!

stampwithamyk said...

Oh, that's awesome! Love the background, perfectly create! Thanks for joining us at Sunday Stamps, hope to see you again soon!

Linda Handford said...

Love this card

Tanya said...

This really did turn out rather outstanding. Great job on your ocean! :)