Sunday, July 10, 2022

Cool Colors with the Paper Players

I was just typing the title for this blog post and somehow instead of typing a P it typed the Greek symbol pi, I have no idea how that happened : )  At any rate, it's time for a new challenge from the Paper Players!


New In Colors?  Yes, please.  And they immediately made my little brain think tropical, so of course...


...I had to use Artfully Layered again.  I don't know why I love those leaves so much, I just do!  So this time around I was going to try a technique I've seen floating around for a bit where you scribble on vellum with alcohol markers (Stampin' Blends) and then spritz with alcohol to get a cool marbley pattern.  But it didn't work at all for me, maybe because my alcohol is only 70% and not 90%?  After some experimentation, I did make something I rather liked (and also a big mess).  So I inked up two acrylic blocks, one with Tahitian Tide and the other with Parakeet Party, then I stamped those on the vellum.  Then I can't remember if I spritzed with the alcohol, just water, or both (I made this a few weeks ago), but I used something, and my vellum curled up like a scroll so I used my heat tool to dry the ink.  So that's how I got the background. 

Then I die-cut my rectangle out of the Tahitian Tide card front (slightly crooked, but that's the charm of handmade cards, right?) and used Tombow glue to adhere the vellum to the backside of the Tahitian Tide--gotta hide the adhesive when you use vellum.  Then I stuck both pieces to a white card with regular SNAIL adhesive and squished it all flat under several catalogs while I did the rest of the stamping and made another card, I wanted to give the adhesive a good chance to dry and get that vellum as flat as I could.  Then I just added the leaf, sentiment, and a few matte dots.

I like how the background looks but I don't know how often I'll be trying this technique.  Most of my fingers were blue and green for a day or two after I finished.  I do have a trick though if you're doing techniques that involve spritzing with water or alcohol:  I have a couple of super-cheap plastic placemats that I put on my work area, and I spritz on top of those.  Usually they come clean with a spritz of water when I'm done, and the rest of my work area stays protected.

Wow that was a lot of talking from me today.  I hope you'll give these colors a whirl and share your card with us on the Paper Players blog.  Have fun and get inky!

Supplies, all SU!
Stamps:  Artfully Layered
Ink:  Tahitian Tide, Parakeet Party, Versamark
Paper:  Thick Basic White, Tahitian Tide, Parakeet Party, vellum
Accessories:  Stitched Rectangles dies, Tropical Layers dies, Stylish Shapes dies, White EP, In Color Matte Dots, Dimensionals

The Paper Players Design Team

Cindy Beach

Christy Stanford <-- You are here : )

8 comments:

Jennie Maier said...

Christy, this is really pretty! I love how you combined the colors for that look on the vellum-I've gotta try that more! Cute card! Have a great week!

Ann Schach said...

One of my favorite cards on the team this week, Christy! You nailed this color challenge for sure! The vellum background is amazing. Have a wonderful week!

Claire Broadwater said...

Christy, this is so pretty! I love the background you created! Such a fabulous card to showcase our color combo!

LeAnne said...

You nailed that background technique beautifully! Great way to use those colors....they do seem tropical don't they?! I can feel the breezes right now!

Joanne James - The Crafty Owl said...

That vellum coloured panel was worth the effort Christy - it's a great way to bring the colours together and that leaf is gorgeous! I so wish that set had carried over. anyhow, great card!

Cindy Beach said...

Beautiful use of the colors, Christy! I love the vellum background and the tropical image is gorgeous!

Anne Marie Hile said...

This is one of my favorite sets EVER and I love your fun tropical layout with the challenge colors. The detail in the background is awesome!

Jaydee said...

Christy, fabulous job with the colors! Such a bright and tropical card. I love it
hugs
jaydee