Thursday, January 25, 2024

My Favorite Thing About Winter...

Hey y'all, how's your day going?  We did indeed eat lots of pizza and cake (and also pie) for my birthday last night : )  And instead of playing with my new stamp sets today I've got a couple of cards with retired stamps.  Because that's how my stamping muse works sometimes, she's ornery.

So what's my favorite thing about winter?


Drinking tea.  Like, for reals, I usually drink multiple cups of tea every day when it's cold outside and I think it's time to brew another cuppa right now.  The drinks on this card could be coffee or hot chocolate but for me personally it would 100% be tea.  I have a bad habit of buying too much tea so this winter I've been trying to be virtuous and drink my stash.  Anyway, I'm hoping that warm beverages count as winter fun, because that's the theme for two challenges.  First up is Retro Rubber:


Hug in a Mug is 6 1/2 years old so plenty retro for this challenge.  And I did put snowflakes in the background, so that makes it count as winter-related, right?

The Paper Players has the same theme this week:


And since the Paper Players specifically wants CAS cards, I used the sketch from CAS Colours & Sketches:


And my colors are inspired by Helen Read at All Things Stampy, she makes such beautiful things:


Though I didn't really use Crumb Cake, I shaded the whipped cream and marshmallows with the Ivory Stampin' Blends marker.

My Hug in a Mug card is actually the second one I made, here's the first one:


I wasn't sure if this counted as winter fun or not but I do still love these guys from the Penguin Playmates DSP from a couple of years ago.  It was a Sale-a-Bration item and I got LOTS of packs of it : )  For both cards, I used a piece of scratch paper to mask the diagonal, then used blending brushes to add color on one side of the diagonal.  A few stamped snowflakes and there I have the background of the sketch.  And this card is totally flat too, so easy to mail.

That's it for me today.  We'll see if I can bust out a new stamp set for tomorrow or not ; )  Cheers, y'all!

Supplies, first card:
Stamps:  Hug in a Mug
Ink:  Boho Blue, Pecan Pie, Stampin' Blends in Boho Blue, Pecan Pie, Ivory
Paper:  Boho Blue, Thick Very Vanilla
Accessories:  Dimensionals, In Color Dots

Supplies, second card:
Stamps:  Penguin Place
Ink:  Soft Sea Foam, Just Jade
Paper:  Soft Sea Foam, Penguin Playmates DSP
Accessories:  None

7 comments:

Heather said...

Love this, Christy, I've always loved this set! Such great colors you have it in, and maybe we can start a trend with marshmallows and whipped cream in our teas, lol! Thanks so much for playing at Retro Rubber!

Rachel D said...

I think you nailed this one, Christy! Love the blended diagonal with the cute snowflakes, and the mugs of steaming goodness are perfect! Thanks so much for sharing with us at CC&S!

Jaydee said...

Christy, nothing like a warm drink on a cold winter's day and I love how you placed yours on that fabulous shelf. Reminds me of a really upmarket coffee shop! Such a fabulous CAS card, too. So glad you joined us at the Paper Players this week
jaydee

Joanne James - The Crafty Owl said...

Firstly - happy belated birthday wishes for yesterday Christy - hope you had a wonderful day! So much to love about your cards! I love the shaded diagonal - this is a clever trick on a CAS card and really effective. Two lovely cards too - the first one has such 'cosy coffee shop' vibes (I still have that set too!) and the second one is super cute! Thanks for playing with us over at both CAS Colours & Sketches and The Paper Players this week!

Claire Broadwater said...

Christy, what a perfect card for winter. Love the blue and the cozy sentiment! Just perfect for a chilly day! Happy Birthday to you! So happy you joined my challenge at The Paper Players this week!

Claire Grantham said...

Loving the shaded diagonal, it is such an usual detail and really makes the card. The whole card is so elegant and the soft muted colours are fab. Thanks for joining us at Retro Rubber this time. Claire DT

Deborah Wheeler said...

These are fab cards Christy - such a great way to use our sketch! I love the touch of blending in the background to create the divide. Thanks for playing along with us at CAS Colours & Sketches
Deborah DT