Friday, May 3, 2024

On the Diagonal

Mornin' y'all!  We had some exciting news yesterday at Ryan's taekwondo studio...the guy who runs the place will be doing his 7th degree black belt test soon, and a big part of the test is how he teaches students.  So he is asking students at each learning level to be a part of his test, and Ryan is one of just two kids in his class to be asked to participate!  Honestly I think I might be more excited about it than Ryan is.  We were already planning to go watch just because we wanted to see what was involved at a belt test at that level.  So in a couple of weeks, Ryan will get to help with it!

Anyway, I spent some quality time in the craft room yesterday, finished three scrapbook layouts, and made this card:


Here's the color challenge from Color Throwdown:


I used Smoky Slate, Berry Burst, and Lost Lagoon for my colors (plus a tiny bit of Bubble Bath for the smaller flowers).  I had to ponder for a bit to choose a stamp set to go with them, but in the end I went with a vase like in the inspo pic.  Here's this week's Freshly Made Sketch:


I must admit, I did NOT like this sketch at first glance.  I think I even made a face.  I had no idea what to do with it...so imagine my surprise when I ended up with a card that I like!  That's what makes it a challenge, I suppose!  I added one more challenge too, courtesy of Just Add Ink:


Sparkly things are notoriously hard to photograph, but I have Wink of Stella on the larger flowers, then Tinsel Gems in their centers, and if that's not enough, I added some Shiny Sequins on the diagonal.  Also I think that greeting stamp from Latte Love is my favorite stamp in the whole set : )  I need to get some cards out in the mail today.

Gotta go get the kiddo off to school.  And then I'm hoping my SU! order shows up early rather than later this afternoon.  Cheers, y'all!

Supplies, all SU!
Stamps:  Everyday Details, Latte Love
Ink:  Basic Gray, Smoky Slate, Stampin' Blends in Smoky Slate, Berry Burst, Lost Lagoon, and Bubble Bath
Paper:  Lost Lagoon, Berry Burst, Thick Basic White, A Little Latte DSP
Accessories:  Dimensionals, Tinsel Gems, Wink of Stella, Shiny Sequins

6 comments:

Kerry Parkinson said...

I completely agree about shimmery things being difficult to photograph, lol! Your card is so soft and pretty, thanks for sharing it with us at Just Add Ink.

Joanne James - The Crafty Owl said...

Gorgeous Christy! I love this colour combo and like you I wanted to run when I saw this sketch (diagonals are not my thing - or ovals, for that matter!) but I love how you anchored the sentiment with the vase. Today I am going to put on my big-girl pants and give it a go (might even tackle the SUO Challenge sketch whilst I'm at it!) Congratulations to Ryan re the taekwando - that sounds like it will be really interesting to watch.

Liz Williams said...

Great card for both of these challenges, and a very pleasant color scheme!!

Linda Callahan said...

Wow you've been busy! I am a total fan of gray/blue - this is lovely! Glad you shared it at FMS!

Jen Brum said...

This is such a pretty card! I love that colour combination and that red pops perfectly! Love that sweet vase of flowers as well! Thanks for joining us this week at Freshly Made Sketches!

Kim S said...

What a sweet use of that little vase! I love the patterns and sentiment you used with it. Thank you for playing along with us at Freshly Made Sketches.