Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Thanks a Ton

Howdy, y'all!  Surprised to see me?  :D  Yesterday I had Ryan in daycare for six hours and it was GLORIOUS.  Okay so yeah I spent a good portion of the time catching up on housekeeping chores, but I've got clean bathrooms and I enjoyed some quiet time and unpacked a nice fat SU! order that I just got.  Then I had juuuuuust enough time to quickly put together one card before I had to go pick him up.  He's currently outside, playing in the yard because once again it is snowing buckets.  We were told over and over that it doesn't snow much here but I've lost count of how many times it's happened.  I'm told this is unusual ;)

Anyway, on to the card!


Question:  what's the difference between a hippo and a Zippo?  One weighs a ton, the other is a little lighter.  My mom loooooooooooooooooves hippos and Hippo Happiness was in the order that I just got this week and I needed a thank you card and here it is.  Fun fact:  you know the famous Fiona the hippo at the Cincinnati Zoo?  Fiona and I have the same birthday (different years, obviously).

For my card, I started with the Global Design Project challenge:


For these types of challenges, I usually write down a couple of key words and maybe sketch out what the inspiration card looks like, then go upstairs to work in my craft room.  So this time I kept blue as the main color (light and dark), the plaid background, and worked with a similar layout thanks to the sketch from the Paper Players:



I added a vellum shape behind my hippo since to help her stand out since she's the same colors as the plaid background.  I could not get this card to photograph really well no matter what I did.  Well, right now the sky is the exact same color as the ground so it's white everywhere outside.  Just trust me when I say this little hippo is cuter in person.  I used some retired glitter enamel dots (I have a ton left over from making birthday party invites in 2019) and I painted over the die-cut word with Wink of Stella so it has some sparkle too, which of course doesn't show up in the picture.

Ryan will be at daycare again tomorrow (I can hardly contain my excitement) and since I did most of the chores yesterday I'm hoping to get more stamping done.  After ten months of various levels of quarantine restrictions, it is amazing to have some time away from Ryan.  Not that he isn't amazing and wonderful, but I need a break.

Cheers, y'all!

Supplies, all SU!
Stamps:  Hippo Happiness
Ink:  Seaside Spray, Misty Moonlight, Memento Tuxedo Black
Paper:  Seaside Spray, Melon Mambo, Thick Whisper White, Vellum, Wrapped in Plaid DSP
Accessories:  Hippo & Friends dies, Well Written dies, retired glitter enamel dots, Wink of Stella

3 comments:

Tanya said...

This is so cute!
I get it! Sometimes you just need a break from the tiny humans you've created, even when they're taller than you! Snow envy tho. We're having an exceptionally dry winter lacking snow- it's just really cold out there.

Joanne James - The Crafty Owl said...

Yay for me time ( or in your case, you time!) So glad you decided to use some of that precious time to play along with my sketch challenge over at The Paper Players this week Christy! That hippo is so cute and I love him paired with the plaid. So fun!

Claire Broadwater said...

You had me at hippo! I love hippos and this card made me smile!!!!! Love all that plaid, too! Such a fun take on the sketch, too! So happy you joined us at The Paper Players this week!