Sunday, November 4, 2018

China: Terra Cotta Warriors

It's China Sunday again!  This week it's a rerun of the terra cotta army layouts, but there are four of them so that's what we're doing.  It's plenty to look at ;)


See my first scrappy blog post here.  This was my favorite thing that we did in China (well, maybe tied with seeing the Great Wall) because we did a huge unit on this tomb and the army when I was in college.  I took dozens, if not hundreds of pictures, and I also printed out like a zillion of them so even though I made four layouts I still have more that I didn't use.


Seeing the army in person was just incredible.  Since all the bright paint and colors have leeched off the terra cotta warriors, I had a pretty much free slate to pick colors.  I figured the warriors are Sahara Sand colored, so I used Night of Navy for my page bases, Summer Starfruit patterned paper, and Bordering Blue and Riding Hood Red as my accent colors.


Second scrappy blog post is here.  The area in the back of the main hall is called the hospital, and it's where workers are engaged in the world's largest jigsaw puzzle trying to put smashed terra cotta warriors back together.


These are pics from some other areas of the archaeological site that haven't been completely cleaned up yet (left), and some of the finds that are exhibited behind glass so you can get a close-up look at them (right).  The whole place was totally amazing.

Check out the links to the older blog posts to see the materials used on each layout.  For now, I'm going to enjoy having my husband home at the moment (he's leaving this afternoon to finish his last two weeks of class) and we're going to dress the kid up in his Halloween costume again and take some pictures.  Cheers, y'all!

1 comment:

CCsMom said...

You guys have been so blessed with all the travels you've done and the places you have seen!!!