Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Orchid Festival 2010, Part 1

Happy Wednesday, y'all!  Actually it's SCRAPPY Wednesday :)  I have over 50 draft blog posts, almost all of them with scrapbook pages waiting to be shared, so I may post layouts more often than just once a week.  I love card making but scrapbooking is really my jam, ya know?


When we lived in Okinawa (when it comes to islands, I never know if I should say we lived IN the island, or ON the island, thoughts?), they had festivals for pretty much everything.  We went to the cherry blossom festival for two years, I went to the orchid festival twice, but we skipped the azalea festival and the lily festival (I'm okay with missing the lily festival though, I'm allergic to them).  Somehow I never blogged the pictures from the second orchid festival, which I went to with Missy, but you can see the first year's pictures here, here, and here.


 I pulled out the long-retired Notable Alphabet for my title, and the Barely Banana mat on the left has some subtle butterflies stamped on it courtesy of Butterfly of Happiness (also long retired).  The butterflies are a little *too* subtle, but done is better than perfect I think...especially since I'm so far behind on my scrapbook pages.  Anyway, I often go in streaks with certain colors where I want to use them on everything, and it's fine even on scrapbook pages because I don't work chronologically.  YOU probably don't see it since I don't share my layouts in the order I made them, but I've recently been on a kick with Poppy Parade (which is coming back!  Oh happy day!) and Barely Banana (more than once I've used them together).  Anyway, I love color and I'm very excited about all the new colors that are coming with the SU! color refresh.  In my perfect (very colorful) little world, Stampin' Up! colors would *never* retire, we'd just keep getting more :D

Enough about colors, let's talk about scrapbook sketches.  I subscribed to Creating Keepsakes magazine for YEARS and I collected literally hundreds of sketches in my own sketch binder.  This was back in the day when Becky Higgins was the It Girl for scrapbooking (and well before Project Life, which is not my thang).  I still use BH sketches all the time and I have this book, which I peruse frequently.


I like that it's organized by number of photos, and there's a sample layout for each sketch.  If you go back and look at my scrapbook pages, you'll see that most of the time I crop my photos as little as possible.  Unless they're really old pictures before I kinda learned what I was doing when it comes to taking good pictures.  Well, I had printed out I think 35 pictures from this festival, and by golly I wanted to use all of them, so I had to crop.  Now I have three layouts done and I didn't even pass out when I cut up the pictures.


Here's the sketch that I used for this layout.  Most of the time I don't use this many pictures on a single layout (12 here), so this was fun for me and I thought you'd like to see how I got from a big stack of photos to finished pages.  I'll share the other two layouts sometime soon.

 

And now we're back to colors for a minute with today's color palette: Pink Pirouette (retiring), Sweet Sugarplum (retiring), Rich Razzleberry, Barely Banana (long retired), and Wild Wasabi (retiring).  I love the soft pink as a background for all the flower photos, I just thought it worked so well here.  If you're curious, you can see my scrapbook pages for the 2009 orchid festival here and here.

If you actually made it this far, and read the whole thing, I salute you!  Thanks for "listening" to me yammer.  Cheers!

Supplies, all SU!
Stamps:  Notable Alphabet, Butterfly of Happiness
Ink;  Pink Pirouette, Barely Banana, Sweet Sugarplum, Rich Razzleberry marker
Paper:  Pink Pirouette, Barely Banana, Rich Razzleberry, Wild Wasabi
Accessories:  None

1 comment:

CCsMom said...

You know, I always say, "I lived ON Okinawa." Now if you were talking about a TOWN on Okinawa, then I would say, "I lived in Naha." But then again, I lived ON the base. So yeah, I've given that some thought, too. Pretty funny.

I'll have to go back and read everything -- just checking in this morning. The flowers at the Botanical Gardens were AMAZING, so I know that everywhere else you had gone was equally as amazing. I'll never forget that hibiscus I saw that was as big as a dinner plate!!! Good memories!