Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Retiring: Swan Lake

Mornin', folks!  Yesterday, Stampin' Up! dropped their retirement lists in preparation for the new catalog, so I'll most likely be revisiting some of the soon-to-retire stamp sets between now and June 1.  And first on the list is Swan Lake.


Honestly, a big part of why I got Swan Lake is to do scrapbook pages for Neuschwanstein (the castle in Bavaria that was the basis for Sleeping Beauty Castle at Disneyland; there are swan motifs everywhere in the castle).  I haven't gotten to those pictures yet, but I did use the swan on another layout already.  I do like this stamp set.  So anyway, I paired the soon-to-retire with a couple of brand new (and continuing in the next catalog) stamp sets:  Waterfront and Lots of Happy.  I can't wait to play with Waterfront a bit more, and Lots of Happy is part of a card kit in the Occasions Catalog...I can now report that 4 out of 5 of the Lots of Happy sentiments fit perfectly in that Tailored Tag Punch.  Yay!

Enough chatter, let's take a look at this week's color challenge from Global Design Project:


I love Tranquil Tide so I was happy to see this combination.  I inked up both the swan and the sentiment with Versamark and then Night of Navy ink, and embossed both with clear embossing powder.  That allowed me to watercolor some Crumb Cake shading on the swan without making the colors run.  For the lake and shore, I stamped off once on scratch paper before stamping on the cardstock here to make the colors a little lighter, and just added more stamping until I liked how it looked.

Here's the sketch from Sunday Stamps that I used:


I like this sketch, it was fun!  I left off the two little flagged pieces on the "any shape" element in the interests of keeping my card on the simpler side.  I just hand-cut the mat for the Tailored Tag punch, easy enough since it's all straight lines.  A few pearls and that was it!

Time to feed Ryan his second breakfast...he gets a bottle first thing and then a bowl of cereal a little later, and it's time for that.  Plus I'm hungry too!  Cheers!

Supplies, all SU!
Stamps:  Swan Lake, Waterfront, Lots of Happy
Ink;  Versamark, Night of Navy, Tranquil Tide, Crumb Cake, Calypso Coral
Paper:  Crumb Cake, Night of Navy, Thick Very Vanilla, True Gentleman DSP
Accessories:  Tailored Tag punch, pearls, Dimensionals, clear EP

4 comments:

CCsMom said...

Very nice. Great colors, too.

Got to feed that little chick! I'm sure he's like any "Walker" -- very verbal at meal times! Ha!

Heather said...

Christy, this is so lovely - my fave use of this stamp set ever - who knew those colors would be so right for it?? Thanks so much for playing at Sunday Stamps!

Fiona said...

This is a lovely combination - this is a set I didn't even spot in the catalogue. Why not come and join my FB group if you are on FB - we celebrate all things SU whether retired or not. You'll find the link on my blog. Come and say hi

Monika Reeck said...

Adorable stamp you choosed and love your color combo
so beautifully made with those colors
Great card
many thanks for joining with us at Sunday Stamps
hugs
Monika