Tuesday, September 12, 2023

SUO Challenges: Silhouettes

Goooooood morning stampy friends!  Get ready for a new challenge from SUO Challenges!


So we're all about silhouettes this time.  I saw some beautiful cards by Helen Read earlier this year using this technique and I suggested it for a challenge.  So you stamp an image and use a dark marker to color in the image to get a silhouette for a different look on line art images.  I had to give it a try with the moths from Night of Flight, so here's my card:


For the background, I sponged Mossy Meadow and Moody Mauve ink onto an acrylic block, spritzed it with water, and then stamped that on some watercolor paper.  I had to spritz more water and stamp again actually as the colors didn't blend together enough the first time, and then I used my heat tool to dry it because I'm impatient ; )  Then I stamped the moths with Pretty Peacock ink and colored them in with the darker Pretty Peacock Stampin' Blend.  I like that you can still see a little bit of the detail on the wings but it's very subtle.  I left the moths' bodies uncolored just because I liked the look.

At first I had stamped the greeting on the Pretty Peacock circle and heat embossed with some truly ancient copper embossing powder (like for reals, I bought it the first time Stampin' Up! had copper embossing powder, I'm pretty sure it's over 10 years old), but I tried taking pictures of this card several times, in several places, on different days, and I just couldn't get the greeting to show up in pictures.  So I stamped it on Very Vanilla and glued it on top of the other circle and I like it better now.  The copper cord *is* from SU!, but like the embossing powder, it is quite old.  One year in a holiday mini catalog, they had non-stretchy cord in gold, silver, and copper; I bought them all and I still have them.  Couldn't resist getting it out to coordinate with the All About Autumn DSP Stack.

I hope you'll give silhouette stamping a try and share with us on the SUO Challenges blog.  Have fun getting inky!

Supplies, all SU!
Stamps:  Night of Flight, Nature's Prints
Ink:  Moody Mauve, Mossy Meadow, Pretty Peacock
Paper:  Moody Mauve, Pretty Peacock, Thick Very Vanilla, watercolor paper, All About Autumn DSP Stack
Accessories:  Deckled Circles dies, copper cord, Dimensionals

Side note, check out the sunrise rainbow we had here yesterday!


A few minutes before I took this picture, I looked out side and the entire sky was PINK with the sun coming up.  Not just a little bit either, everything was pretty much Barbie pink.  Then I went outside to take the trash out and saw this beautiful rainbow!  Had to get Ryan to come out and look too, and I'm glad I did because when we left the house a few minutes later to take him to school, the rainbow was gone.  Beautiful start to the week!

1 comment:

Tanya said...

That's a fun technique! I love the background too. I have the silver and copper cord still too. :)
Hooray for rainbows and beautiful skies!